Sunday, 13 September 2015

Fractions and problem solving

We have been learning all about fractions and what a fraction is. We decided that a fraction is fair. It needs to be the same shape, same size or the same number. 
We have also been doing loads of thinking and problem solving in our maths. We think problem solving is hard but we are very proud of our learning!

WALT: find the fractions of sets and shapes.
Success Criteria
  • I can use what I know to solve problems
  • I can use a picture to show my thinking
  • I can use materials to show my thinking
  • My shares are fair (the same shape, same size or the same number)

How I am going

I can use what I know to solve problems
Kerri thinks



I can use a picture to show my thinking
Kerri thinks


I can use materials to show my thinking
Kerri thinks



My shares are fair (the same shape, same size or the same number)
Kerri thinks


Reflection

My favourite part was: making groups that were fair.

It was really hard when: when I was trying to think and work out the answer.

Something that really helped me was:using the jelly beans so I can see what's fair.

Something new I learned was: what half is and it has to be fair.

Kerri Thinks
You know what is half and not half. A half if fair - the same size, same number or the same shape. You can make half a set and find half of a shape. With support you can find quarters. Your next learning step is to find thirds and fifths of sets and shapes. Remember during maths time you need to focus and do loads of thinking. It will be tricky but using the materials does help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment